Sunday, March 06, 2005

 

Oh look. It's day number 4.

Apparently, posting a diary of something that happened last year is not classed as 'updating my blog'. I takes me long enough to write up the diary on the computer, so I don't really care. :P

Maybe I will give you a real update soon readers. But I like the diary!

Day 4:
“Sat, can they wash my underwear? I’ve only packed one pair.” My first words of the day… luckily, they did and in fact, everybody else wanted stuff washed too. I went back to my days as a baby today and had a wash/bath using a bowl and cup. The only difference being that I was washing myself. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be and the two women who work her, Agnes and Rebecca (Moses’ wife. No not Moses’ wives!) kindly warm up the water. I had some sweet banana for the first time (sooo sweet). I hadn’t had to eat more than one normal banana since I’d been here. Praise God! The water melon was great too.

Next we made our way to the first school. Lets set the scene. Basically, there were 60 kids, all crammed into a tiny room than only just fitted them all in plus a little bit of writing space. They shuffled out and we ministered for them. I’d managed to blag doing any talking to crowds yet. It’s not my gifting. I had everyone else with me to do that! I’d pray, I’d sing, I’d evangelise to individuals, but talking to crowds is not my cuppa. Sat managed to put me on the spot by making me teach the kids a song, (Who is the King of the Jungle?). It wasn’t too bad. The kids were brilliant. They were all so kind and receptive. All of them wanted to touch your hand or ‘bongu’ i.e. respect. They all loved to ask us how we were, ‘How are you, mzungu? And some held your hand. Unbelievable.

We rested and went straight to the next school. This was a bit more organised. Everybody was in a hall and we did a bit more ministry. We met the kids and managed to just about come away with our fingers attached. We met Herbert (head master) and he invited us back to his for dinner the next day. How could we refuse *wink* and we went back to the hostel.

So far the day had been enjoyable but now was the hard bit. Time for ‘door-to-door’ evangelism. NO!!!!!

“Let’s go in two’s” I suggested.
Few. People agreed.

I just floated around with everyone giving my 2 cents here and there. Speaking of cash, someone asked me and Maz for money. Went a bit like this;
“Sponsorship”
Our reply. “We’ll pray for you?”
Here name was Barbara and her sister, Beatrice, had a son who didn’t have enough money to pay for schooling. We also had some liars.
Us: “Are you saved?”
Them: “No.”
Us: “Are you a Christian?”
Them: “Yes.”
Us: “What church do you go to?”
Them: “The one over there.” (points)
The funny thing was that everybody went there! I called one of them a liar as she walked off. We also spoke to someone who believed Jesus had forgiven him but not that he was saved. I let Reg deal with him. I also watched Sat talk to a Muslim lady. He was pretty good! Made it look well easy.

Afterwards, we went and invited Jimmy, Benson, Marion, Moses and Geoffrey to Kampala to have dinner at a place called Antonio’s. We met Sat’s friends, Rose and Amer plus there daughter, Cheryl who was actually crazy. Cute but insane. Mulalu. Jimmy and Benson ordered this nasty looking fish meal. It was just a fish, on a plate, with it’s puffy eye staring at you as you ate it *shudder* Freaked me right out. Kampala was really busy (I thought). We went to a nicer place for desert (Nando’s. Yea! – not the chicken place unfortunately) I had carrot cake and a fresh cream donut. Was quite nice.

What happened later on will remain etched in my memory for years. We drove up Namirembe hill. They had an amazing cathedral on the top of this hill. Renovated and everything. And as we were walking around and chatting, with the entire city in panoramic view, the light went out, and as we looked down to the city below (awesome view) half of it was in total darkness! (except a view car lights) We waited for them to come on again and as we did, they flickered on for about 3 seconds and then died again. What a light show! Only involved half a capital! Mesmerising!

After this we travelled back to Banda, (I was so tired) and Moses taught us a new song. ‘If you believe and I believe’ etc. It was great. We used the song for David Beckham and even Saddam. We also taught Jimmy a bit of Bristolian, ‘Gert lush’ after Christine had pounced on him with the Scottish yesterday. We got back and I climbed into my bed net and saw something hovering about. Mozzie! It was silent so must’ve been female which ment it could’ve been carrying malaria. I give it a quick smack and it goes down like a fly… or something.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

$2.95 a month web hosting